Sea Condition All Clear (SC-AC): Conditions which are ideal for water related activities. Some hazards may exist.
Sea Condition Caution (SC-C): Hazardous conditions may exist. Exercise caution when entering the water.
Sea Condition Danger (SC-D): Life threatening conditions exist. Personnel may enter the water during Sea Condition Danger only under the following conditions:
1. Lifeguarded swim areas: daytime swimming is allowed in designated swim areas on and off military installations when staffed by lifeguards and open for public use.
2. Professionally monitored water activities or athletic competitions supervised by qualified officials of that activity (e.g. Dragon Boat Races, triathlons, sanctioned fishing tournaments, SCUBA class hosted by a certified dive shop).
3. On Okuma when the Okuma Commander/Deputy Commander determines allowable water activities.
4. On Torii Station when the Garrison Commander determines allowable water activities.
5. On White Beach when the Commander, Fleet Activities Okinawa determines allowable water activities.
6. At Kadena Marina, staff may allow unsupervised daytime swimming in the roped swimming area only.
Sea Condition All Clear (SC-AC): Wind speeds have been reported at less than 18 MPH (16 KT). Locally assessed conditions are suitable for novice water enthusiasts intending to participate in the location’s primary water activities.
Sea Condition Caution (SC-C): Wind speeds of 18 MPH (16 KT) or greater, including gusts, have been observed for at least 3 hours. Locally assessed conditions warrant that individuals participating in water activities have extensive experience both in the planned activity and at the location.
Sea Condition Danger (SC-D): Wind speeds of 35 MPH (30 KT) or greater, including gusts, have been observed and are to persist for at least 3 hours or during TCCOR 2. Locally assessed conditions are dangerous and warrant restricting access to the water and removal of individuals from the water. Note – Military facilities will cease rental of water recreation equipment in SC-D.
Important Note: Conditions and criteria are based on a generalized evaluation and may not be consistent with the weather and sea state throughout the entire coastline of Okinawa. Therefore, personnel must make an individual assessment of the hazards for their intended activity during SC-AC and SC-C.
Ocean Data, Links, & Information
Magic Sea Weed – Okinawa Surfing
Surf Forecast – Sunabe Seawall
MCIPAC Water Safety Video
Okinawa Rip Current Information
Water Safety Accident Card
US Military Sea Condition Information Poster
Okinawa Hazardous Marine Life Poster
Okinawa Dive Map
III MEF/MCIPACO 5101.1. Recreational Water Activities
18th Wing Water Safety Policy – Jan 2015
The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the 18th Wing Weather Flight, the United States Air Force, or the Department of Defense, of the external website, or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) sites, the United States Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of the website.